Kids' Rules for Online Safety
Adapted from Child Safety on the Information Highway.
- I will not give out personal information such as my address, telephone number, parents’ work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents’ permission.
- I will tell my parents right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.
- I will never agree to get together with someone I "meet" online without first checking with my parents. If my parents agree to the meeting, I will be sure that it is in a public place and bring my mother or father along.
- I will never send a person my picture or anything else without first checking with my parents.
- I will not respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get a message like that. If I do I will tell my parents right away so that they can contact the service provider.
- I will talk with my parents so that we can set up rules for going online. We will decide upon the time of day that I can be online, the length of time I can be online, and appropriate areas for me to visit. I will not access other areas or break these rules without their permission
- I will not give out my Internet password to anyone (even my best friends) other than my parents
- I will be a good online citizen and not do anything that hurts other people or is against the law.
Let Your Kids LISTEN to Kids' Rules for Online Safety
Rules one through six are adapted from the brochure Child Safety on the Information Highway by SafeKids.Com founder Lawrence J. Magid. Printed copies are available free by calling 800 843-5678.
Last Updated: Wednesday July 25, 2007